Download the "Start the Conversation" Presentation
Download and customize the "Start the Conversation" presentation to share these resources with your community.Download
Slide Deck “How-To” Guide
This presentation is intended to help Suicide Prevention Coordinators (SPCs) and suicide prevention advocates introduce audiences to Start the Conversation: New Tools for Veteran Suicide Prevention, a comprehensive toolkit that includes information about common issues that many Veterans face, as well as concrete steps to help audiences:
- Talk to a Veteran about their emotional health, distress, or even thoughts of suicide
- Identify factors that may increase a Veteran’s risk for suicidal thoughts and behaviors
- Recognize warning signs or “red flags” indicating that a Veteran may be in crisis and need support
- Create a personalized plan to help a Veteran manage crises with a customizable Safety Planning Worksheet
- Access resources for Veterans in need and those who care about them
The slide deck is separated into eight sections. Each section has a brown topic slide to introduce the section and provide an overview of the information included within. The sections included in the slide deck are:
- Introduction: Provides information for the audience about suicide prevention and why it’s important. This section also provides an overview of VA’s role in suicide prevention and information about the toolkit.
- Risk Factors: Information about risk factors for Veterans and why they experience higher rates of crisis.
- Warning Signs: A general list and description of suicide warning signs and resources that are applicable across all audiences.
- Conditions: Information and resources focused on common medical conditions Veterans may experience.
- Life Experiences: Information and resources focused on life experiences that are common among Veterans.
- Start the Conversation: Provides information about how to initiate a conversation about suicide with a Veteran. This section also provides tailored information for specific audiences.
- Safety Planning: Information about what a safety plan is and who should have one, as well as strategies and tips for completing a safety plan with someone who is at risk for suicide.
- Support and Resources: Provides VA and national resources along with tailored resources for specific audiences.
The slide deck includes general information for all audiences, along with information tailored to specific audiences, allowing SPCs to customize the presentation for their needs.
When viewing the presentation in “Normal View,” there are instructions included in the “Notes” section at the bottom about whether the slide is intended to be used for all presentations, or whether it should only be used when relevant to your audience. For example, in the “Conditions” section, there is information tailored to Veterans with TBI, depression, PTSD, etc. On these slides, the note states “Include when relevant [Topic].” However, in sections like “Safety Planning” where the information is appropriate for all audiences, the note says “Include in all decks.”
To tailor a presentation and delete slides that are not applicable to your audience, click on the slide in the left side navigation bar and click the “delete” button on your keyboard. You can also right-click on an individual slide in the navigation bar and click on the “Delete Slide” option.
Many of the slides also include additional information in the “Notes” section that provides background and guidance for talking points. This information is also available to help guide your presentation when viewing the slide deck in “Presenter Mode.”